Legalization is carried out to certify a document or documents so that they will be recognized by the legal system of a foreign country. Legalization is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a US public document is genuine. Legalization is usually required by foreign authorities before they will allow a US document to be used for official purposes in their country (RWANDA).
For any documents to be legalized / authenticated, these are the requirements:
- For Individual that cannot come to the Embassy to have their documents notarized, the documents are required to have a signature and seal from a Notary Public in your area of jurisdiction to verify to the authorities in Rwanda that the relevant checks have been carried out.
- The documents then have to be reviewed and approved by our consular staff.
- Legalization of documents
- Power of attorney/procuration
The Embassy of Rwanda to the United States of America validates all legal documents for Rwandans and non-Rwandans who reside in the jurisdiction that it covers; i.e. USA, MEXICO, Argentina and Brazil. Only documents bearing Rwanda Embassy seal are legally acceptable for use in the Rwandan institutions. If you need your document(s) legalized, the following requirements must be submitted to the Embassy in full.
- Sign in front of an appropriate Embassy authority (especially for those who reside close to Embassy of Rwanda Chancery) or provide a document to be authenticated that bears a signature and a seal from the notary public certified by the City in which you (the applicant) live.
- Date of birth (village, sector, district, and province)
- Provide a copy of a valid picture identification card/passport
- Provide a proof of Residence in the US
- Provide a signed request letter addressed to the Ambassador explaining the service expected from the consular service
- Name of representative, relationship with representative and ID of representative
- Copy of property document and the location (village, sector, district, and province) of the property
- Provide 30USD(nonrefundable) money order payable to Embassy of Rwanda.
- A pre – paid self-addressed trackable envelop be used in the mailing process of documents (suggestion: USPS, UPS, FEDEX).
- Notwithstanding anything else to the contrary, the Embassy of Rwanda reserves the right to ask for further documentation.
- Legalization of powers of Attorney relating to bank issues, property management or property Sale takes a maximum of 45 working days. The Embassy shall examine each request and may reserves the right to reject any application.
- The legalization process for all other documents shall take a maximum of 14 working days from receipt of the application.
- The Embassy does not accept expedited application for documents legalization.
- Birth Certificate
The Embassy of Rwanda in Washington DC issues the equivalent of the birth certificate (Attestation of birth/attestation de naissance) in lieu of the original birth certificate. This is given to individual Rwandans who beyond reasonable doubt, provide proof of citizenship as born, naturalized Rwandans or otherwise as may be stated by the Rwandan constitution.
A copy of a picture Rwandan identification card/passport
Document(s) issued by a Rwandan competent authority stating the applicant’s parents, date of birth and place of birth.
A request letter signed by the applicant addressed to the Ambassador.
A 30 USD money order payable to Embassy of Rwanda.
We suggest that a pre – paid envelop be used in the mailing process of documents (suggestion: enable tracking facility for your convenience).
- Tax exemption
The Embassy of Rwanda in Washington DC issues tax exemption recommendations to Rwandans returning home with their belongings. To qualify for this recommendation, one must be moving back to Rwanda for good or at least for a long-stretched period. Included in the category are students who have graduated, Rwandans who have been residents or USA citizens of and have decided to move back to Rwanda for work, retirement or just to live in their homeland.
Provide a copy of a picture Rwandan identification card/passport
Provide a request letter (certified by authorized Notary Public) signed by the applicant addressed to the Ambassador.
Provide a list of items intended to be shipped to Rwanda.
A copy of a title is required if you have a vehicle.
A requirement of ownership and usage of vehicle for at least 12 months is mandatory.
Provide 30 USD money order or bank draft payable to the Embassy of Rwanda.
We suggest that a pre – paid envelop be used in the mailing process of documents (suggestion: enable tracking facility for your convenience)
The Embassy of Rwanda in Washington DC informs the public that Rwanda Revenue Authority has the sole and final decision whether to tax or not, regardless of the Embassy’s recommendation.
- Life certificate
The Applicant must come to the Embassy in person and bring the following documents:
- A signed application letter addressed to the Ambassador;
- A copy of the residence permit (or any other document stating the applicant’s status in the USA);
- Copy of Rwandan passport/ID (if the applicant is a Rwandan national);
Provide 30 USD money order payable to Embassy of Rwanda.
Processing time and payment
- The processing time for the above mentioned documents a maximum of 14 working days.
- Payment must be in money order.
- Submission of documents in short of one or more of the above requirements will cause delay in the processing.
- All applicants must provide active email address and phone number to facilitate easy communication where need be.
- A pre – paid and self-addressed envelope be used in the mailing process of documents (suggestion: enable tracking facility for your convenience)
- Please provide a copy of your passport , Payment of $30.00 Money Order and Proof of Ownership i.e. for letter of Power of Attorney or Proxy (Please Note: The person receiving the documents also has to show proof of identification to be considered. Identification number must be included in the letter.
Rwandan Nationality Information
- Nationality by birth on Rwandan territory
A birth certificate; A certificate of identity; Document certifying that his/her parents were legally residing in Rwanda at the time of his/her birth; A certificate proving that the applicant has never been sentenced to more than six months imprisonment or is not subject to legal proceedings (police clearance); A photocopy of passport if any; A certificate of registration as foreigner if he/she reside in Rwanda; A payment $30(non-refundable) Money Order payable to the Embassy of Rwanda. Two colored passport photographs with a white background; Any other proof that the applicant was born in Rwanda; Click here to download application form.
- Nationality by marriage
A birth certificate, a marriage certificate, certificate proving that the applicant has never been sentenced to more than six months imprisonment or is not subject to legal proceedings; A copy of a passport and/or a copy of certificate of registration as a foreigner; Birth certificates of minor children born before or after the marriage to the Rwandan spouse and establishing the lineage with the two spouses; A payment $30(non-refundable) Money Order payable to the Embassy of Rwanda Two colored passport photographs with a white background; Justification of shared common marital life for the three (3) years through a certificate issued by the register of civil status at the place of their marriage or his/her residence; Rwandan identity card for the spouse on the day of marriage or any other justification of her Rwandan nationality; To fill correctly an application form above.
- Nationality by adoption
A birth certificate; A certificate of adoption issued by competent authority; Copy of the identity card of the adopter.
A birth certificate ; Birth certificates of his/her children under 18 years old; A copy of the passport and a certificate of registration as a foreigner; A certificate of his/her occupation/activities in the country issued by the District authorities where he operated from; A certificate proving that the applicant has never been sentenced to more than six months imprisonment or is not subject to legal proceedings; A payment $30(non-refundable) Money Order payable to the Embassy of Rwanda Two colored passport photographs with a white background; To fill correctly an application form above.
- Nationality of Rwandan origin
A birth certificate; Proof in writing that they were living in a place known as Rwanda; Bring at least 2 Rwandans who know him/her as a Rwandan; A payment $30(non-refundable) Money Order payable to the Embassy of Rwanda. Two colored passports photographs with a white background; To fill correctly an application form above.
- Requirements for renouncing Rwandan Nationality
An application letter explaining the reason of renounce nationality; Handing over of the identity documents and travel documents issued while he/she was Rwandan; Proof of acquisition of another nationality; A certificate proving that the applicant is not subject to legal proceedings in Rwanda; A $30 money order is also required. Please visit the following link to download and complete the required form.
- Requirements for recovery the Rwandan Nationality
A declaration stating the reason the application of the recovery of the nationality; A birth certificate; A proof that the applicant was a Rwandan; A document proving that he/she has been accepted the renunciation of nationality; A certificate proving that the applicant is not subject to legal proceedings in the country of his/her current nationality; A payment $30(non-refundable) Money order payable to the Embassy of Rwanda Two colored passport photographs with a white background; To fill correctly an application form for Rwandan Nationality.
- Application form for Rwandan Intending to renounce refugee status.