- February 5, 2021
Job Title: Communication & Education Officer
Location: Washington D.C.
Travel Required: Sometimes
Position Type: Full Time
Application closing date: Feb 19th, 2021 by 23:59 EST
The primary function of the position is to coordinate the diplomatic mission’s communication plan. In his/her external communication role, the officer would contribute to shaping and influencing local audiences’ perception of Rwanda by creating and disseminating relevant content and information; handling public relations, press releases, media requests, and social media accounts. He/she would also provide communication advice to senior diplomats and other colleagues as well as support internal communication processes. In addition, the position also requires assisting the department in charge of education on administrative duties.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an effective Embassy communication strategy
- Monitor current affairs -both local and international news in Kinyarwanda and English media.
- Prepare daily briefs for the head of mission and headquarters
- Answer questions about Rwanda from specific stakeholders and the public
- Draft press releases and other creative materials for mass media or Embassy website
- Monitor multiple US and Rwandan media sources and regularly collect press materials for senior staff as well as write editorial responses when necessary
- Create original content to be used for newsletters, website, and social media
- Maintain the Embassy’s press lists and arrange interviews and press coverage for the Head of Mission
- Develop and continuously implement communication strategies with a particular focus on digital communication strategy.
- Update the official embassy website; keep all platforms updated with engaging content; set weekly/monthly goals for public interaction.
- Develop partnerships with individuals, groups, and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives
- Serve as a conduit between Office of the Spokesperson and communication team in Rwanda
Ensure all major Embassy’s events are well reported
- Assist the office in charge of education in administrative duties;
– Follow up on timely dissemination of student funds
– Maintain accurate student database with contact information
– Facilitate and provide information packages to Rwandan students seeking education prospects in the US;
– Maintain regular contact with Rwandan students to gauge their academic progress and address miscellaneous issues
Education/Qualification: University degree in political science, communications, International Relations, or other relevant fields. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience with website and email campaign management. Familiarity with working with the press, including reporters, producers, and editors. Some familiarity with graphic design (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) an advantage but not required.
Skills and Competencies: Excellent written, oral, and non-verbal communication skills. Strong critical thinking and analytical skills. Ability to maintain high-quality work under pressure and tight deadlines. Strong research skills as well as planning and time management under minimal supervision. Experience in blogging encouraged but not required.
Prior Work Experience: 3-5 years of communication strategy, administrative experience, events coordination, and basic knowledge of IT skills is preferred.
Language Proficiency: Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English, (both written and orally)
Required documents: Cover letter, updated resume with 3 references (max. 3 pages), copy of University degree, training certificates, and copy of valid State ID. Applicants are required to have legal status in the US. Submit documents into a single PDF format as one document to email@example.com by the set deadline.