The consular card is a prerequisite for all applicants. If you don’t have one, before you proceed to the next step, please submit your application by filling this form (Click here). Once approved, your consular card will be delivered to you in the same envelope as the document you are applying for.
The Embassy of Rwanda in Washington D.C. issues tax exemption recommendations to Rwandans returning to Rwanda with their belongings. To qualify for this recommendation, one must be moving back to Rwanda permanently. Included in the category are Rwandan students who have graduated, Rwandans who have been residents or U.S. citizens, and have decided to move back to Rwanda for work, retirement or just to live in their homeland.
- Photocopy of Rwandan ID or passport
- A request letter addressed to the Ambassador. This letter should be locally notarized before the Embassy can notarize it and should include the following:
- Applicant physical address in the U.S. and contact information.
- List of all items intended to be shipped to Rwanda
- Photocopy of title document is required if the list includes a vehicle. The applicant must have owned the vehicle for a minimum period of 12 months.
- Money order or Cashier’s check of 30USD payable to the Embassy of Rwanda (this fee is non-refundable and non-transferable)
- FedEx self-addressed, traceable return envelope. Non-traceable envelopes will not be accepted.
Submission of an incomplete application; in short of one or more of the above requirements will be returned. Complete applications take 4 to 5 business days to process. The Embassy recommends a tax exemption. The Rwanda Revenue Authority ultimately reserves the right to exempt the tax or not.
“A prepaid, traceable and self-addressed FedEx envelope for the Embassy to return the document back to the applicant.”